Monday, February 22, 2010

Dr. Henry Cloud

He is a famous therapist who I am friends with on facebook.  He is a very technological therapist (with lots of published books), I feel like he never sleeps.  Anyway: today he wrote something on his facebook that seemed quite intriguing.

Question: is what you are doing sustainable? Think about some area of your life, whether work or personal, or emotional, and put it to the sustainability test. "Can you keep doing what you are doing for an ongoing amount of time?" If you could, that would mean that it is sustaining itself, or said another way, you are finding enough resources to keep "it" going.  If not, it may be a sign that you need to make some sort of change, or just make sure that this is not "just a season." A CPA could not keep up the pace of March, but he or she knows that after April 15th, the pace will change. If you are in a known season, and overextended, that may be ok. The problem comes when a "season" becomes a "pattern."  If you are in a pattern that you do not want to go on indefinitely, think of what you can do to make a change that will get you to a sustainable place.

This sustainability question session got me thinking about my current situation.  Currently I am in a place where I am living a life that is not something I can sustain for a long period of time.  Having hardly any friends, feeling like my work life is empty, having nothing to do in my free time but shop, having no one to share life with besides my boyfriend...that is hardly living at all.  I go home, I make dinner, I watch TV, i sleep, i get up, go to work, go home, make dinner, watch tv, sleep, get up...(okay, you get the picture).  Basically my day to day living has no living in it.  I'm just living on a plateau going no where and walking the same way every day.  I don't know how much longer I can sustain life this way. 

So, the next question is : do i try to sustain life in L.A. which has been invariably calling my name?

No comments:

Post a Comment