Sunday, December 5, 2010

December 2, 3, & 4…Trying to Catch Up

December 2: Writing
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

I have been meditating on this one a lot because I really don’t know.  I guess the thing that doesn’t contribute to my writing is my laziness.  I come home, tired from my job, and I really just get lazy because my day took so much energy and life out of me.  I am alive 100% of every minute that I am at my job working with my students.  I do not slack off or shut down or rest.  I am on, all the time for them so I come home and shut down.  Which in turn, makes me lazy, which therefore makes me not want to do anything productive. like say…write.  So, I am going to try to be LESS lazy.  :)

December 3: Moment
Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail.

This is semi-cheating because it’s a moment from 2009 but I remember it like yesterday.  A moment where I felt truly alive is when I went to Chicago for the first time in May 2009, to  move there.  It was a complete and utter leap of faith.  I knew one person, had never even visited, and hoped on a plane.  I quit my job at a law firm to take a job as the Arts and Crafts coordinator for the YMCA, and I packed my bags and just went for it.  I remember seeing the city for the first time and being amazed at the immensity of Lake Michigan.  Seeing the Sears (now Willis) tower from afar.  I remember looking down at all the houses and thinking how large their yards were and I was thinking of how cute and quaint all the towns near the city must be.  I remember looking at the city and thinking this is it.  this is me living my life.  this is me experience everything I can experience.  At the time of my flight it was almost sunset so the sun wasn’t really out much anymore and the sky was a greyish blue.  I remember the feeling in my stomach of pure and complete joy that I was about to engage in something so unknown and unset that I didn’t know what to do, cry or laugh.  I also remember knowing that I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

It turned out to be one of the best and worst decisions of my life but I will never forget the moment I first saw the city and the feeling I got looking out the plane window.

image

December 4: Wonder
How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?

This year I cultivated wonder by spending most of the year exploring an unknown territory.  By wondering what it would mean if I actually took the time to pursue my dream of teaching.  I wondered where I would teach, explored what it meant to be a teacher, and wondered how to be the best teacher I knew how to be.  I spent my time over the summer in class, reading books, creating projects, conversating with other soon-to-be teachers.  I have now spent my first couple months as a teacher wondering and exploring all the different aspects of learning disabilities and students that are 13 and seemingly crazy. 

I have also spent this year wondering about myself.  Exploring what I need to do for me and wondering how to manifest that into every day living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment