Friday, December 31, 2010

Bring It On 2011!

December 28: Achieve.
What’s the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you imagine you’ll feel when you get it? Free? Happy? Complete? Blissful? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10 things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today.

The thing I most want to achieve next year is to get my own apartment, furnish it, set it up, and create a home.  I think once this achievement is made I will feel free and it will allow me an opportunity to have people over to share in conversations with.  Perhaps, at some point, maybe start a small group or just cook for people on a regular basis.  I hope that having an apartment will allow me a space to truly live and love my hobby of scrapbooking.  I think I will finally feel, again, like a “real adult.”  I want to feel settled, and living at home right now has sort of made me feel unsettled.  Like I haven’t quite gotten there yet.  This way, also, my friends who live far away can come visit.  And I will feel at ease being on my own and I will finally get that peace and quiet I have so longed for. 

It’s hard to think of things I can do to feel like I have my own space because right now I have to share everything.  My bathroom, my classroom, my office, my kitchen, my living room, my cell phone bill…I mean everything is shared.  It’s hard to think of where I can get that feeling of my own space when I am so far from having it.  I am just grateful I can live at home right now and save up some money and not be super stressed out.

December 29:  Defining Moment.
Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year.

Like I’ve kind of felt throughout answering all these prompts, there wasn’t really “one moment.”  Since 2010 was so much about transition it’s hard to point to just one moment.  I guess one moment that probably changed my life forever was the moment I got the phone call from my principal telling me that I got the job to be a teacher.  That moment has been something I have been waiting for since the second grade and just the start of fully living into my dream.  (See next prompt for more)

December 30: Gift.
This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What’s the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year?

The best gift I was given this year was the chance to be a teacher.  I am so grateful, every single day, to have my job.  I love all of my students and I love the day-to-day things I get to experience.  I may joke with everyone that the kids are crazy (which they are) but my heart swells and loves them so much.  They are each a blessing in their own way and I love having the chance to work with them.  Some things about my job are not ideal, but at the end of the day I would have it no other way.  I wish I could take each and every one of my kids home and hang out with them and help them with their homework and feed them a nice meal and just get to know them better because they are all so special.  I wish I could get them all to see that and I wish I could somehow let them know how truly important it is to be an educated individual and how they have to find their passion and source of joy for them to be successful grown adults.  I want them to know that no matter what happens, I will always be there to support them and help them and that things might seem super confusing at this age but that it gets better.  I wish there was some way for them to know that I think about them constantly and I only want good things for them and that even if I get frustrated at them talking, that it’s only because I wish they knew how important all of these things were and are to learn. 

Being a teacher, will always be the greatest gift of all.
education

December 31: Core Story.
What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world?

The core story for me is about learning.  It’s about learning about other peoples lives, it’s about learning more about myself, it’s about learning how to be the best version of myself so that I might be a light for others.  Life is about learning how to adapt, how to learn to say no, and how to live in a world that is constantly changing.

Whenever I do not know something, I ask because I am given a chance to learn something new.  Whenever I know something, or have a tool in my toolbelt, I always share it with others in the hopes that I will have taught them something.  The core of life is about constantly learning everything.  There is never a day that will go by that there wont be a million chances to learn something new.  If I didn’t believe in the fundamentals of learning, there is no way I would be able to be a teacher.  But I want to show my students that by reading, being open minded, asking questions, contemplating, understanding, knowing, and continuing to live a life that is filled with exploration is a life that will be full, and blessed, and lived.  The central story at the core of me is that there is always something to learn. 

I also believe the Heart of life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment