Friday, June 24, 2011

An Ode to My Teachers

Mostly this is my apology for all the teachers that ever had to deal with me.

Senora Noche, I am sorry I always was sent out of Spanish class for talking.  I really couldn’t help it.  My best friend was in that class with me and to this day, she still talks more than I do.  I couldn’t help but pass notes to her and tell her what was going on with me.  I hardly saw her otherwise.  I am so sorry that I talked to her and didn’t pay attention.  I had this urge to talk to everyone in that class actually.  I just couldn’t stop talking because Spanish was hard for me and it was frustrating to be talking in a language that didn’t make sense.  I really wish I would have not talked though, that Spanish would really come in handy right now (most of my students’ parents speak Spanish).  Just for future reference:  don’t send a talkative kid to sit out in the hallway. I loved it out there.  I talked to anyone who walked by, or I would write notes to my friends.  But, again, I am sorry for being a chatterbox.

Ms. McPhee, I am so sorry for making your first year of teaching miserable.  I can’t believe the things I yelled during the middle of class.  I was a horrible child.  I know.   I will say this, strategic seating had something to do with it. You put me within close proximity of about 4 other people my age…Groups for seating are a BAD idea.  It’s funny because the one thing I remember learning in your class was figurative language.  I still remember when you asked what irony was and Sam raised his hand and said “It’s like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.”  Thanks for teaching me at least one thing I remember, and I am sorry for yelling things in turrets-like-manner the middle of your lectures.

Mr. Miller, thank you for all the valuable lessons you taught me about being a great teacher.  You taught me what it is to have passion and heart for your students, your job, and what you are teaching.  You taught me so much about being a great student, and so much about the value of using humor with your students.  I will never forget you, your class, or the crazy things you made students do.  Just yesterday a kid fell asleep in my class and I woke him up the way you did.  Slammed something on his desk to scare the crap outta him. Haha.  But really truly, I hope to have half the impact on my students as you did yours.  You are truly an inspiration.

All my PE teachers.  I am SSSSOOOO sorry.  I was probably your least favorite student of all time.  I can’t believe I never ran the mile.  How did I even get away with it?  I don’t know.  But I know for certain that I never ran the mile, in all my years of PE, and I am sure you wanted to shake me because it’s not like I was incapable, it’s just that I was being lazy.  Whenever my students tell me they are failing PE because they don’t run the mile I laugh, tell them to run the mile, and that PE is the easiest class.  Even though I failed it year after year.  So I am sorry I didn’t do the easiest thing.

Ms. Phillips.  Thank you.  More than you will ever know.  You are the reason that I am a teacher.  Ever since 2nd grade when you were my teacher, I have known that I wanted to grow up and be just like you.  I remember you having a picture of your family and dog on your desk and talking to me about them.  You also let me stay in at lunch and help you with your work, or let me come after school to be your “TA.”  I remember you being patient, kind, smart, and most of all, teaching me in a way that I understood.  I can still visualize your classroom in my head and I thank God to have known you, because you are the start of my dreams.  Thank you hardly seems like enough to say but, thank you.  Wherever you are I hope you know how much you have touched and changed my life.  Someday I hope that I will get to tell you all about it. 

Ms. 7th grade English Teacher.  I cannot for the life of me remember my 7th grade teachers name, but I remember your class.  You used to read Chicken Soup for the Soul at the beginning of class and then we had to write in our journals about it.  I went out and bought ever single Chicken Soup for the Soul book ever made because of you.  It got me through some really hard times, and I even submitted a story to be published in it. 

Ms. Young.  I remember your classroom vividly.  It feels like it was just yesterday that I stood up, shook your hand and witnessed you call each student mister or miss (last name).  You wanted to show us that we had ownership in the classroom as much as you did and that we deserved respect and we needed to treat you the same way.  You taught us so much that year, I can still recount lesson plans and activities and poems we wrote.  You had a huge impact on me if I can remember what I did in class 12 years later.  You were a get down to business kind of teacher, and looking back I appreciate that more now than I ever realized.  You expected us to learn and expected us to give our best and be respectful at all times.  That’s a gift that not every teachers gives, so thank you.

Ms. Coakley.  I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for all you have done for me.  You were an exemplar teacher and showed me exactly who I wanted to become when I was a teacher.  Not only were you an amazing teacher, but you allowed me to be myself and you encouraged it.  It was the first time I really felt like myself and like I was accepted by a teacher.  It was wonderful to have you push me to grow, be better, and advance, all the while accepting where I was at in my life and my academic career.  You showed me how freeing choice can be for students, and you showed me that there is more than one way to answer a question, write an essay, or express yourself.  The freedom and acceptance that you offered in your class was uncanny and for that I am forever indebted to you.

Ms. Lineweaver.  I don’t think in all my years have I gotten closer to another teacher than you.  Although I never had you for any academic classes I always wished that I had.  Step-Aerobics and three years of yearbook were very fun though.  You were a great teacher, always positive, always funny, and always upbeat.  You accepted each kid that walked through your door and treated us all the same.  You never made anyone feel less than.  You made each students happy and excited and worthy.  That’s a talent that I need to learn how to do, and something that I look up to greatly.  I have only fond memories of our conversations, my time with you, and everything you taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment